Timeless


    Another question that we will not be able to answer is time. We live in 2020 or so we think we do, what if that is not the case. Have you ever wondered that maybe it is not 2020 and it is 2019 or 2023 ? I certainly have. We live in certainty that people that came thousands of years ago figured out how time works. Considering that those people had the bare minimum knowledge of the world or resources that we have now. Before reading the piece written by Ellis McTaggart called "The Unreality of Time".  I had not given much thought on the concept of time. The curiosity has always been in the back of my mind but never it in the way McTaggart delineate in his article. My perception of time has always been questionable and confusing. 

  I found myself agreeing with one of the arguments McTaggart presents in his work. I would not necessarily say that is a personal view I had before the reading. He states that "a universe in which nothing whatever changed changed (including the thoughts of the conscious being in it) would be a timeless universe". My interpretation of this idea was that if everything stayed constant such as seasons, fashion, food, economy, technology, our world would be timeless. An example of this would be that every decade of the 90's there is different events that make it distinct from each other. What if that did not occur ? What if each decade was identical to each other ? 

    McTaggart introduces his theory called "the unreality of time" where he states that time is unreal. He supports that theory by stating that time is in inadequate and repetitive. This theory was unknown by me but somehow it made sense. In addition I found this argument surprising. It was surprising due to the fact that I understood his argument and it made sense. This theory introduced me to a whole new way of thinking. Human beings are the most developed species, most would say it is due to our communication skills but I think it is the way we think. More specifically the ability to critically think, where would we be if  we could not think this way ?

Comments

  1. Hey Theo!
    I really liked the way your ideas in this blog. I agree with your first paragraph a lot, and I actually said very similar ideas in my blog. I have thought is it really the year that we say we are in? What about the day and week and month? Time is so confusing, but I agree with you also when you say the facts about the changes of the 90s in regard to seasons, fashion, food, economy, technology, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly try not to think about it to often or else my head hurts, I believe that these ideas are very difficult to deal with. Yet it is very interesting to explore such possibilities !

      Delete
  2. Hello Theo,

    I think that the points you brought up in the second paragraph were great. We usually determine that time has passed by looking at what has changed, however we usually do not consider what would happen if things remained the same. I personally think that time is not just a constant flow, but rather we simply measure and identify what is different from when we previously looked as something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you and especially with your last sentence. I was trying to convey that in my blog and am I really glad that you liked it ! Thank you for reading my blog!!

      Delete
  3. Hey Theo,

    I enjoyed reading your piece as I have similar viewpoints and understandings. In relation to you asking whether or not we have actually thought about if we were in a different year is the same way that I think about how we are in a different dimension. Time, to me, is such a black hole o f an idea, it is endless. The questions and the possibilities are endless, and that's what makes it so cool of a topic.

    In regards to your section about us humans having all the tools and knowledge that we have today to be able to think of such endless possibilities about the concept of time. But more importantly, I agree with our strength in critical thinking as well, and how two and two go together in hand. Have you ever thought about the concept of our description of time in terms of earlier to later vs. past, present, and future?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your kind words!! To answer your question I have thought about those words in the past and while doing these readings. I honestly thinking about time is such a complex topic and difficult to comprehend. I try not to think as much because then I question everything I have been taught or know be true.

      Delete

Post a Comment