"To Philosophize Is to Learn How to Die"


"To Philosophize Is to Learn How to Die"

Facing death can be a key to our liberation and survival

PHIL 101

    In my philosophy class we were assigned to read an article written by Simon Critchley called "To Philosophize is to Learn How to Die". I read it over and over again because I was so intrigued by the ideas presented on this article. This year has been unpredictable in the worst possible way, yet the author brings an interesting view to all of this. Whether you were directly affected by the virus or not we all experienced the anxiety of it all. Professor Critchley calls it  "profound anxiety" and explored  the differentiation of fear and anxiety. Fear is specific, it has a particular object where anxiety does not. A connection that I never made before until reading about it on this article. Aristotle was one of the many philosophers that made that connection, "fear is our reaction to an actual threat in the world".
    I have always been judged growing up due to the fact that I am comfortable with the idea of death. Any conversations that death has been brought up either when I was a child or now as an adult, everyone believes it is not "normal" to think that way. Most of the times people fail to understand that if you have accepted the idea of death that does not mean you are not afraid or you do not care. I never quite understood that, death is apart of the natural cycle of life. Therefore something to be expected in the natural cycle of life. Reading this article made me feel less "wrong" in the sense that I was not the only one that thought this way, but that is actually a concept in philosophy. In fact in philosophy  fear of death is seen as slavery, "Slavery consists in bondage to the fear of death. It is the terror of our annihilation that keeps us enslaved". People have always feared the unknown and death is the biggest mystery that we can not figure out. That is anxiety, the unknown and right now we are all immobilized and feel that every day. The author is not suggesting that we do not fear death, therefore we should take the virus solemnly. But rather be at peace with the idea of death whenever that might be. My interpretation in this specific section of the article was that instead of creating chaos, we need to do whatever is necessary to fight it. 
    This article brought up logical points that I found myself agreeing with all of them. From the idea of humans being wretched to that weakness being our strength. If there is something that humans do well is achieving the unachievable.   





Theologjia Sofi




Comments

  1. I definitely agree with you and the points made in the article. I think weakness does bring us strength and that anything is achievable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with many aspects that you incorporated in your blog. I agree with you when you believe that weakness turns into strength. I personally agree with you, I believe anything is possible and achievable as long as you put your mind to it. I also agreed with the majority of Mr. Critchely points, just like you. I feel as though there were an abundance of viable points being brought up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading the article !! He made some really good points and I am very glad we had the chance to read it .

      Delete
  3. Hi Theo, I really enjoyed reading your reaction to Critchley's article. I wouldn't say I am comfortable with death but I am not uncomfortable with it, if that makes sense. I am a bit in between. I like how you mentioned that it is something to be expected, because it is a natural life cycle. Combining that idea with the role of philosophy stated in the article, I think that it isn't until we accept the fact that morality exists that we can truly live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words ! I totally understand what you mean. I would like to think that I am more comfortable with the idea of death than I actually am. It is a pretty scary thing but I think as long as we work on it, we are on a good path .

      Delete
  4. Hey Theo,

    I like your take on the article. My view is that we cannot fear death, as we are uncertain as to what follows it. Perhaps the life we are in now, is not the best or only life that we will be faced with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right and that is why I believe that people have such a hard time with death. Uncertainty, could be such a scary thing!

      Delete
  5. Theo, I definitely had a similar experience due to the fact that I am comfortable with the idea of death too. But that just comes from my belief! In Islamic belief, Death is seen not as the termination of life, rather the continuation of life in another form. God has made this worldly life as a test and a preparation ground for the afterlife; and with death, this worldly life comes to an end. Thus, every person has only one chance to prepare themselves for the life to come where God will resurrect and judge every individual and will entitle them to rewards or punishment, based on their good or bad deeds. And death is seen as the gateway to the beginning of the afterlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great point you make and I did not know that is how death is seen in Islam as well. Thank you for sharing that in my blog!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Theo,

    First, I've got to say: your blog looks fabulous! Thanks for putting in the extra effort to make it so pleasing to view.

    You've done a great job bringing in your own reflections and perspective on mortality. I would also be curious to read your response to some of the other questions in the blog post prompt for this article. For instance, what does Critchley argue is the role of philosophy and how does that apply to the pandemic? Critchley seems to think that philosophy can help us in Virus World. Why? Do you agree with Critchley about that role and do you agree with the way that he characterizes human beings in his article?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dr.Nora,

      Thank you for your kind words! I definitely could have been a little clearer on Critchley's stand. He states that philosophy is critical to our lives because it encourages us to think outside the box. Which is exactly what he encourages us to do in these difficult times we live in. He believes that thinking out side of the box which in this case is not feeling fearful. If you look at in major threat that humanity has been threatened with, the answer has always been something unexpected. I believe that is Critchley's message in his article. Some may argue that his stand might have been a little harsh but I think he was being authentic. I agree with his characterization of humanity, we are weak and fragile and that is why we are innovative and smart. We are so scared of death that we are motivated by that fear to do anything possible to avoid it.

      Delete

Post a Comment